Saturday, November 21, 2009

WEC's new champ & UFC 106 predictions


The WEC has a new champion in the 145 pound division. Brazilian, Jose Aldo beat Mike Brown in WEC 44 to take the title. Aldo is phenomenal and I predict he’ll be champ for a good while. Beating Mike Brown is no easy feat (the guy’s a beast in that weight class and was on a 10 fight winning streak) but Aldo is very well rounded (BJJ black belt), quick, explosive, and has awesome stand up/striking skills. Don’t know who will be the one to eventually beat him.

The WEC is always thrilling to watch. First of all, it’s free (which is always a plus) and because it consists of smaller weight classes only, the action is fast and non stop. The level of skill these guys show is amazing, and even though I’m not as familiar with many of the names as I am with the UFC fighters, I’m often more impressed with WEC events/fights than I am with many of the UFCs.


UFC 106


UFC 106 tonight: The headline fight was supposed to be Brock Lesnar vs Shane Carwin. That one I was looking forward to (would’ve been rooting for Carwin), but alas, because of Brock’s illness the fight was scratched. So, Tito vs Forest…..not all that excited about it but gonna predict Tito will take this one. He’s returning to the UFC and he’s probably hungrier for a good showing/win. Forest has not faired well in his past two fights and I question his level of motivation right now. Other predictions for UFC include:


· Anthony Johnson beats Josh Koscheck (both are very talented and haven’t seen that much of Johnson’s ground game, but his skill and athleticism will prevail.
· Jacob Volkmann beats Paulo Thiago? (just guessing here, both are good).

· Luiz "Banha" Cane beats Antonio Rogerio Nogueira (Rodrigo’s brother)
· Amir Sadollah beats Phil Baroni
· Marcus Davis beats Ben Saunders
· Jake Rosholt beats Kendall Grove
· Fabricio Camoes beats Caol Uno

PPV starts at 10 PM and free prelim fights start at 9 PM on Spike

2 comments:

jeffy said...

What is this WEC you speak of? Are there midgets in it?

As far as your predictions, I just don't know about Tito. It's been so long since I've seen him fight, I can't really make an intelligent decision as to what might happen. While Forrest's luck didn't carry in his last fight, I can't help but think he's at least closer to his prime than Tito. I could be wrong, of course. Moreover, I love both fighters. They've both made an art of giving fans a great emotional battle and I'll appreciate whatever they do.

As for other predictions, Anthony Johnson will fight in every fight on the card. He will also win. Watch this dude. I'm telling you now.

Do it.

Unknown said...

I'm getting more and more concerned about the judging. Any judge who didn't give Tito the first round is blind. There was another decision that was split and shouldn't have been. All were pretty good fights. I didn't expect Koscheck to win either.