Friday, March 5, 2010

PFS training in Atlanta


Last weekend I went with a group of guys (6 guys from my regular martial arts group) to Atlanta to do an intensive instructor’s training in Progressive Fighting System (PFS). It was a fun weekend as far as the interaction with the guys and it was great to be able to devote so much time to training (a rare opportunity with life and family responsibilities). But the instruction we received was not as great as we had hoped for. Those of us that attended had backgrounds in martial arts ranging from one year to 20 years. We had seen the material we’d be covering via video and practiced it a moderate amount prior to attending. I don’t want to sound like a martial arts snob, but it was clear that we knew the information as well as the “instructor” and were all better at actually doing the material/techniques. At first I was a bit mad because I felt we should have received more for our money (and let me state right here that we are all laid back and not over critical about instructors. We are all very open and excited about learning and growing in the arts), but then I started thinking hey, this actually says something about where we are as a group. For a group that’s not really involved in competition to speak of, it’s a good way to get a sense of where we’re at; it can serve as a sort of gauge of sorts. Anyway, maybe it’s just my way of trying to find meaning (and feel like it wasn’t a waste of money) in the training, who knows. But it works for me……

Thanks Greg, Jeff, Kevin, Norm, and Stacy,
you guys are awesome!

No comments: