Thursday, February 3, 2011

UFC 126





I am extremely excited about this upcoming UFC. The card is stacked and I can’t wait to watch the event. Here are my predictions and thoughts on the fights/fighters:

Silva Vs Belfort
This one should be a great fight. Anderson (27-4), of course, is a phenom considered by many to be the best pound for pound fighter alive. Vitor (19-8) is also an incredible fighter who since early UFCs has shown great speed and power. Silva has, unfortunately, not had the best performances lately. He hasn’t lost; he just hasn’t seemed very interested in finishing his opponents. All the dancing around antics have turned many fans, including me, off. Belford, has shown that there are two versions of himself. When he’s the “on” Vitor, he’s unstoppable; when he’s the “off” Vitor, he just doesn’t seem to be there mentally. I am hoping for a great fight, and would love to see Vitor win this. I’d love for him to knock Silva out. It’s not that I don’t like Silva, I’m just tired of him.

Forrest Griffin Vs Rich Franklin
Both are very skilled fighters and both have great cardio. Both are former world champions and either one could win this fight. Franklin (27-5) has been very successful and has a lot of experience. Forrest (17-6) has a bit of the “Belford syndrome” in that he can be “on’ or “off.” They are both well rounded, and Forrest will probably have the size and reach advantage, but I see Franklin winning.

Jake Ellenberger Vs Carlos Eduardo Rocha
Both great but not familiar enough with them to make a call.

Jon Jones Vs Ryan Bader
I am more excited about this fight than any other on the card! They are both awesome and it stands to be a real war. Bader (12-0) is undefeated and a real powerhouse. Incredible wrestling base and knock out power in both hands. Jones (11-1, really should be 12-0) is long, ultra athletic, and very skilled. He also has great wrestling base, as well as great spinning back kicks, vicious elbows (I call them “hellbows),” etc. I am a huge fan of Jones, and I see him winning this fight. I also see him becoming champion of this division in the near future.

Miguel Angel Torres Vs Antonio Banuelos

These guys are both coming from the WEC and are very scrappy. Torres (37-3) is a former WEC champion who held the title for years. He has good muay thai skills and will have the reach advantage for sure. He is also a Gracie Jiu Jitsu black belt. Banuelos (18-6) is very formidable as well. He has great wrestling and ground and pound skills. This should be a really fast paced and exciting fight. Giving this one to Torres.

Paul Kelly Vs Donald Cerrone

Paul Kelly Vs Donald Cerrone (13-3)
Kelly (12-3) is a solid striker and has scored 5 TKOs in his 12 wins. “Cowboy” Cerrone is coming from the WEC and has been very impressive, especially in the submission department (10 of his 12 wins were via submissions). He has a sick triangle. This should be another great battle and I’m going with Cerrone on this one.

Chad Mendes Vs Michihiro Omigawa
The winner of this 145 lb fight will probably be in line (in the near future) for a fight with Jose Aldo. Omigawa is12-8-1 overall, 0-2 UFC but is on a five fight winning streak. He’s come a long way and is pretty balanced with his skill, but prefers submissions. Mendes (9-0) is from team Alpha Male (Uriah Faber) so as you’d expect, he’s a powerhouse. He as an extensive collegiate wrestling background and really pushes the pace. I don’t think Omigawa will be able to control the pace or distance of this fight (or be able to submit Mendes when it hits the ground, which will definitely do). Mendes wins this one.

These are all the fight’s I’m discussing. The rest of the card is as follows:

• Gabe Ruediger Vs Paul Taylor
• Norifumi Vs Demetrious Johnson
• Kyle kingsbury Vs Ricardo Romero
• Mike pierce Vs Kenny Robertson

3 comments:

Jeffrey Howard said...

Heck yeah. Hope I can watch it.

I'm not as down on Silva as most. He's been a weirdo, but being in that cage with a mission to beat on someone while thousands watch is a weird situation; on top of that, he hasn't really been challenged, either (except by Sonnen)so who knows what's going through his head. Who knows how any of us would react? That being said, I've been a fan of Vitor since his first UFC fight. He's the dude that brought the straight blast to the UFC. I'm fine with either winning and look for a great fight.

The Bader/Jones fight has the makings of a war. Sadly, most UFC fights that look good on paper suck. Hope I'm wrong.

My personal vote for fight of the night will be the moustache v. the mullet. Those little dudes should put on a show like they always do.

Doug said...

I agree with virtually everything you've said here (how original of me, I know).

I'm looking forward to EVERY single fight on the card tomorrow night, but the one I'm looking forward to the most is Jones vs Bader. While I am a fan of both fighters, Jones is one of my current favorite fighters. The combination of his Greco-Roman wrestling and unorthodox striking makes for very entertaining fights. I'm hoping for a W on his behalf so I can continue to enjoy seeing his fights.

And I sincerely hope that Belfort defeats Silva tomorrow. I used to be a Silva fan as well until the Silva vs Maia incident. Small rant, but I had some friends who did not consider MMA as a true sport (rather, they considered it some barbaric display of violence with no sportsmanship amongst competitors, among other things). I decided that the Silva vs Maia card would be a great PPV to introduce them to MMA. What an embarrassment to watch Silva make a mockery of the sport for 25 minutes!

A Belfort win would certainly spoil the possibility of a Silva vs GSP match-up, but that's okay in my book.

And I agree with Jeff that most fights that look good on paper suck. Here's hoping that this excellent card will live up to expectations.

MJ said...

Thanks for the posts guys. Lets hope it lives up to our expectations. We'll find out in a matter of hours. Cheers!

Marty